Since its inception in 2000, the Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center has taken the lead in organizing the Asian & Pacific Islander Pride Celebration that is held during the San Francisco Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Pride Celebration at the last week of June every year.
Asian & Pacific Islander LGBT Pride thrives by passionately pursuing these objectives:
- Be part of the biggest human/civil rights celebration in the Bay Area
- Spread awareness of programs catered towards A&PI LGBTs
- Organize a venue to collaborate with other non-profit organizations
- Foster the youth to be leaders in the A&PI LGBT history movement
- Provide HIV testing and Hep B screening and testing to high-risk A&PI LGBTs
A&PI LGBT Pride owes its existence to legendary community organizer Nikki "Tita Aida" Calma, who has recently been named as one of the 2014 Trans 100.
For 14 years, she has worked tirelessly to build a home for the Asian & Pacific Islander LGBT community at San Francisco Pride on behalf of the Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center. Her pioneering efforts also include working with other activists, artists, organizers, and educators to positively impact the nation's trans community and provide educational programming and health services to queer A&PI's.
Take a trip down memory lane by exploring our past pride pages:
- 2013: "Embrace, Encourage and Empower!"
- 2012: "Global Equality"
- 2011: "In Pride We Trust"
- 2010: "Forty & Fabulous"
- 2009: "To Form a More Perfect Union"
- 2008: "United by Pride, Bound for Equality!"
- 2007: "Pride Not Prejudice"
- 2006: "Commemorate, Educate, Liberate – Celebrate!"
- 2005: "Stand Up! Stand Out! Stand Proud!"